For those who are feeling overwhelmed with stress or big/intense emotions during the covid-era, here is something to consider. It may even help you feel better…
As an empath/intuitive, I am used to feeling the weight and burden of other people’s emotions. I spend time wading through other people’s emotions/emotional energy daily. In fact, it is fairly common for an empath to feel what others feel as if it is their own…which is what makes it different than empathy, which is simply feeling compassion for how others feel without taking it on as your own…
The thing is, things are so intensely overwhelming and there are so many unknowns in the world as a whole, as well as in our individual worlds, that it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to not FEEL that right now…so many who are not empaths, or who do not identify as empaths, are experiencing the world very similarly to the way in which empaths experience it every.single.day.
Is ‘Empath’ a ‘real thing’? Well, some know it is real, others disagree…and I say it that way because anyone who has ever felt physical or emotional pain through other people’s experiences, like empaths do, knows this is quite a real phenomenon. There is actual science behind this phenomenon…and even if you are still skeptical, asking a simple question may help lessen your burden so you can feel better, lighter right now…so what harm can that do, right?
The science of feeling feelings that aren’t yours (aka, empathing) is based on mirror neurons. All humans have them, no exceptions. Mirror neurons are the reason you yawn when you see/hear/sense someone yawning. It is also the reason it is possible to feel the emotions or physical sensations of others…like sympathy pain during pregnancy. Each and every human have mirror neurons, empaths are thought to have more of them, but…
With a collective global experience such as the one we are in right now, there is a nearly tangible emotional energy lingering all around the world…one of uncertainty, fear, grief, and vulnerability at the very least – so it is likely that this intensified/amplified collective emotional energy can be felt by ALL people, not just empaths.
So, whatever you’ve been feeling lately, especially if it has been like riding the WORST emotional roller coaster every, having a range of emotions that may not always make sense or may not seem appropriate to your individual circumstances…well, it may not even exclusively be YOUR emotions. You may be experiencing the emotional energy of the collective…
It can be difficult to discern the difference for anyone…empath or not. I teach empaths how to discern and shift their empath experience to one of comfort and empowerment, so I know a few things that can help YOU feel better while you are immersed in this global and personal emotional stew…
Something super simple you can do to help themselves stay calm and responsive instead of reactive as emotions and tensions run higher over the next weeks than even the weeks past….
Ask yourself ONE QUESTION when you feel like you are close to losing your shit, feeling like this is all too much to handle, or when stress/intense/heavy emotions are overwhelming:
IS THIS MINE? (alternate phrasing: Is this feeling mine? Is what I’m feeling mine?)
- ASKing is the first step…”IS THIS [EMOTION] MINE?”…DO NOT SIT AND THINK ABOUT IT, JUST ANSWER YES/NO…your first yes/no is the right answer.
- Do NOT ask the question again…just accept that what you feel is either YOURS or NOT YOURS… trust that first answer, or at least trust me when I say you must take your first answer – no exceptions. (your intentions/ego get involved if you keep exploring/asking/mulling it around…and that will lead to inaccurate answers every time. your knee-jerk, GUT response is what you need…not more thinking!)
- Now you can either process and recover from YOUR feelings OR LET THEM GO:
- If NOT YOURS, there is no reason to process them or spend any more time there. You cannot process feelings that aren’t yours, save your energy for things you can tend to or control.
- Breathe until you feel better…or visualize them leaving you in some way, such as lifting a heavy load off of you and setting it down, blasting it off into space, giving it to the Earth, or pouring off you like a waterfall…whatever visual works best for you.
- If YOURS, then take a few minutes to process and recover from your feelings.
- Processing and recovering from your feelings can involve feeling/accepting what you are feeling, and then breathing/tapping gently over your heart until you feel better…UNTIL THE RECOVERY, so you can move through them not stuff them down or avoid them.
Feelings are actually okay, they are not as scary as they seem…they ARE TEMPORARY, even though sometimes they don’t feel that way – we feel scared that we will get stuck in them, that they will never go away…but they will. I promise you that, feelings come and go…and this will too. Whatever you are feeling right now doesn’t HAVE TO BE NORMAL…because what WAS normal no longer exists. Everything is changing, whether we like/want it or not and the most we can do is keep showing up, doing our best, and tending to our needs to the best of our ability…keep on keeping on, you are doing your best and IT IS GOOD ENOUGH just the way it is right now.
This information and other resources I’ve made available are intended to help you cope during this stressful time…if you need it. I will keep showing up and sharing insight, tips, and other information that may be helpful to you – or someone – because we need each other more than ever.
If you need additional help getting to the root cause of your issue to free you from past pain/trauma and stuck patterns, I can help with that… book your free consult/discovery call or private 1:1 session anytime. (p.s. you can opt for the pay what you want plan, too…at least through the end of May or until we return to a new normal of social and safe!).